2018 Silver Dollar Duel – Online Western Art Rodeo Competition
Entry Deadline is April 30, 2018. Voting runs from May 1 – 31, 2018.
Time Left to Enter
Watch this Video if you need help Entering
2018 Silver Dollar Duel
Entry Deadline is April 30, 2018 ---- Voting period is May 1st - 31st 2018
Official Rules and Information - PLEASE READ
Online Western Art Competitions allow Western Artists to compete for prizes, promote their artwork, earn points towards a World Championship and be eligible for inclusion in "Ace" - Volume 1.
How Does it Work? (the short version)
Western Artists will submit artwork in the category they choose by completing the entry form and uploading a photo of the artwork. Upon entry, the uploaded artwork image will be displayed in the Gallery. The public will be able to VOTE for the piece during the voting period. WARA judges will also be scoring and ranking each entry, behind the scenes, based on the Fundamental Principles of Art. The top 20 scoring artists in each category will be awarded points towards a World Title. (World Standings).
The Process to Enter:
- Pay the entry fee for each piece you are entering (Payment is separate from Submitting - Members Pay Here - Non Members Pay Here)
- Submit Your Entry (Deadline is April 30, 2018 at Midnight MDT)
- You'll receive an email confirmation when your image is approved.
- Your Entry will display within 24 hours of entering. Public voting will be May 1, 2018 - May 31, 2018.
- Contestants may enter as many pieces as they choose to enter.
- Contestants may enter multiple categories
- Contestants do not have to be WARA Members to compete, however, members will get discounted entry fees and only WARA members will gain points towards competing in the World Championship event.
- WARA Members that earn World Standings points in multiple categories are including in the "All Around" standings.
- $10 per entry for WARA Members
- $20 per entry for Non WARA Members.
Entry Deadline is April 30, 2018.
Voting runs May 1 - 31, 2018
Recommended Image Dimensions for Entry (jpg files)
- All images should be in jpeg format
- Recommended resolution is 100 pixels per inch.
- Recommended size is 1200 pixels on the longest side.
- Maximum file size for upload is 10mb.
***The W.A.R.A. is a highly professional organization. Your work is being judged by a highly professional and qualified judging staff. As professional artists please present your work in its highest possible form. It is imperative that the quality of your submitted entry photos are of the same quality that you would like represented as a true reflection of the quality you produce and your professionalism as an artist. Our judges can only judge on what is presented to them and your presentation is of the utmost importance. Photos that are not professionally presented will not be approved for entry.***
2018 Online Western Art Rodeo Schedule - Click Here
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED
WARA Online Art Rodeos are open to all Western Artists. No jury process. Anyone can enter.
By submitting an entry to the Online Art Rodeo, entrants certify that their participation in this Contest is not illegal or in violation of any law, regulation, treaty or administrative act, and that the laws of their governing jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry do not prohibit or restrict the receipt of any Prize under this Contest.
The Western Art Rodeo Association reserves the right to reject any entry if, in The WARA's sole discretion, the laws of an applicable jurisdiction, including but not limited to the entrant’s jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry, would prohibit or limit The WARA from proceeding with the Contest as intended or the consideration or awarding of any Prize would impose additional administrative, tax, operational, or legal burdens on The Western Art Rodeo Association.
Furthermore, individuals residing in any “Excluded Jurisdiction” are ineligible to enter the Photo Contest. Excluded Jurisdiction means any country listed on the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) Active Sanctions Programs list available at https://sanctionssearch.ofac.treas.gov/.
WHAT TO ENTER
The Western Art Rodeo Association is committed to promoting Western Artists. All entries must be "Western" in nature in order to be eligible. This is defined as anything dealing with the American West including landscape, wildlife, cowboy art and more. The title of the contest is not the THEME for the contest. Artists may submit any artwork dealing with the American West.
Entries are submitted electronically by upload within the entry form.
We recommend your description include:
- Inspiration behind the piece. We'd love to know the story behind it.
- Dimensions (optional)
- Is the piece available for purchase
- Anything else you'd like to say about the piece
All Entries must be rendered by artist own hand. Copied work will be disqualified.
We recommend artists enter pieces that are available for sale, however, artists may enter past works and/or works that have been SOLD.
If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to The Western Art Rodeo Association if requested.
The Western Art Rodeo Association shall determine entry eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion.
Submissions may be watermarked if desired, but the watermark should be inconspicuous enough to not interfere with the judging of the photo. A watermarked photo might not be honored by the competition (at the judges’ sole discretion) if the photographer is unable or unavailable to provide a pristine, watermark-free version of the image when asked. Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
Each (The same) work of art may be entered once into 1 Online Art Rodeo and once in the World Championship.
HOW TO ENTER
All images must be submitted though the contest entry form.
Artists may enter as many pieces as they choose in each category. By entering, you indicate your unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. You cannot win a prize or points unless you comply with all requirements in these Official Rules.
Entrants may be asked to supplement their submission (such as with a paragraph about their photo or the highest resolution version of their photo).
WARA judges will evaluate all valid entries and pick the following winners in the following categories:
- Wet Medium - Oil, Latex etc.
- Dry Medium - Charcoal, Graphite, Pencil etc.
- Carving - anything carved including wood and other mediums
- Traditional Art - Silver, Leather, Braiding etc.
The winners will be announced on the WARA website and Facebook page within 10 days of the closing of each Online Art Rodeo. The artwork selected for "Ace" will not be announced until the book is published.
All judging decisions are final. Please do not contact us about the status of entries or judging.
POTENTIAL WINNER REQUIREMENTS
Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility, including proof of age, and liability/publicity release within 14 days. If a potential winner fails to return these documents on time, an alternate potential winner may be selected in his/her place.
- All entries in "Ace"- Volume 1 qualifying events are eligible to be included in "Ace" - Volume 1.
- Winners of each category in select contests will be published in Art of the West Magazine
- Winners of each category will receive a Free 1 Year Subscription to Art of the West Magazine.
- Promotion - Promotion - Promotion - All entries will be promoted through the WARA Social Media Channels and our website. A community of Western Artists displaying and sharing each others work.
- Points - WARA Members will accumulate points towards the World Standings and the opportunity to compete in the World Championship event.
- The opportunity to be named "World Champion" and receive a Championship buckle for your category at the World Finals event.
- The opportunity to be represented by Culturalpatina, one of the largest cultural art Galleries on the web.
The WARA retains the right to cancel any category due to lack of entries. In the event a category is cancelled, all participants in that category will be refunded their entry fee.*
W.A.R.A. World Standing Point System for Online Art Rodeos
- The Top 20 Entries from W.A.R.A. Members in each Category will receive World Standing Points
- Non W.A.R.A. Members are not awarded World Standing Points
- If the same W.A.R.A. member places multiple times in the Top 20, he/she is only awarded World Standing points for the highest scoring piece.
Points are awarded in each category based on the table below.
1st place……………200 pts.
2nd place…………….190 pts.
3rd place……………..180 pts.
4th place……………..170 pts.
5th place……………..160 pts
6th place……………....150 pts
7th place……………....140 pts
8th place……………….130 pts
and so on down to 20th place (10 pts)
WARA Point Standings
World Point standings will be tallied and displayed on the WARA website throughout the year. These standings will determine the 20 qualifying contestants for the overall year end WARA World Champions. Points earned in all 2017 Art Rodeos will be carried over into 2018 totals.
Your entries help The Western Art Rodeo Association promote Western Art and our members. Thank you for helping to further our mission by participating.
You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit -- including ownership if applicable.
If you submit a work of art, you grant The Western Art Rodeo Association a royalty-free, nonexclusive right to:
- Display the photograph on all WARA websites and printed material including "Ace".
- Allow third-parties and the WARA to share the photograph on social media.
- Use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in The Western Art Rodeo Association's internal and external communications materials including but not limited to web sites and web publications, fact sheets, fund raising publications, advertising, multimedia, presentation and membership services.
- Provide your photograph to other individuals and organizations for Conservancy-related use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, videos, membership premiums, and the like
- Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications
- Retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the WARA photo library and accessible to WARA staff via the WARA internal online photo archive
The WARA will endeavor to credit all photographs with the artists name whenever possible.
In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Online Art Rodeo is impaired in any way, the WARA may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the contest to address the impairment and then resume the contest; or (b) award the prize(s) from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The WARA reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. The WARA's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to the WARA by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by the WARA. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the owner. Online Western Art Rodeo's are subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless WARA, Facebook, their respective parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the contest; (b) technical errors; (c) printing errors; (d) late or undelivered mail; (e) errors in the administration of the contest; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property. You waive the right to claim any attorneys’ fees and any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
When you enter, you will automatically become an e-supporter of The Western Art Rodeo Association. This includes special event invitations, digital messages, text and an occasional e-newsletter. You may cancel and unsubscribe at any time.
PRIVACY AND PUBLICITY
You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Utah. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforce-ability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the WARA in connection with the contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Utah, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Utah or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Utah.
Each contestant will be sent a form and asked to cast 1 vote for their favorite piece in the competition (that's not their own :).
The piece with the highest number of votes will be featured on the W.A.R.A. website and awarded a $25 Amazon Gift Card.
Voting by the Public for People's Choice
The Public vote for People's Choice will run May 1 - 31, 2018.
Each voter is allowed 1 vote per entry every 24 hours.
People's Choice is awarded to the entry with the most votes at the end of the competition.
Artists are encouraged to share the competition entries (including their own) on Facebook and other social media platforms. However, the public vote count has no bearing on the WARA Judging, World Standing Points or selections for "Ace". It is simply a way to share the artwork, gain exposure for the artists and grow the reach of the association.
Public vote count for each piece is not displayed throughout the competition, though we may periodically update the contestants on the public vote count leaders.
People's Choice Award for the 2018 Silver Dollar Duel is a W.A.R.A. Stainless Steel Tumbler, a Fine Art Principles Flipbook and a W.A.R.A. leather keychain.
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
Do I need to be a member of the WARA to Enter? No, however, WARA members will have a lower entry fee per piece and only current members will be awarded points. Non members may still enter and compete but the price per entry will be higher and no points will be awarded to non members.
Do I need to be a member of the WARA to Vote? No. Anyone can vote once per day for each entry.
Can I enter multiple categories? Yes.
Is there an Entry Fee per piece? Yes, there is a $10 entry fee per piece for current WARA members and a $20 entry fee per piece for non WARA members.
How often can I vote? One vote per person per day.
Can I vote for my own artwork? Yes. One time per day.
Can I ask my friends to vote for my artwork? Yes, we encourage the artists to share all of the artwork. However, asking friends to vote every day gets old really quick. We want people to enjoy the artwork and the competition and we'd hate to see you lose friends.
Can I enter the same piece of Art in different Online Art Rodeos? Each work of art may be entered once into 1 Online Art Rodeo and once in the World Championship.
YOUR QUESTIONS / COMMENTS / SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME.