- WARA Members will submit finished works of art into the competition.
- All entries are ranked from 1-10 by the WARA Art Directors based on Fine Art Principles.
- The highest ranked works of art are selected for the “Rodeo” (based on avg. score from all directors).
- “The Rodeo” will be published online during the following month for public voting and promotion.
- WARA Art Directors will award places 1-10 from the pieces that make “The Rodeo” and Award Placing Points
- Contestants may enter as many pieces as they choose to enter.
- Contestants may have multiple pieces qualify for “The Rodeo” and receive promotion for their works of art.
- All Entries (prior to “The Rodeo”) will only be viewable by the WARA Directors. (not the public). Only the pieces that qualify for “The Rodeo” will be displayed and promoted.
- All Entries (prior to “The Rodeo”) will only be viewable by the WARA Directors. (not the public)
- Entries that do not make “The Rodeo” will have multiple opportunities for improvement including critiques and online training through the WARA Membership Portal.
There are 3 ways to earn World Standing Points in each competition.
- Each contestant will receive 5 World Standing Points for his/her first entry into each event.
- Each contestant will receive 20 World Standing Points for his/her first entry that makes “The Rodeo”.
- Each contestant will receive World Standing Points for final scoring place by the WARA Judges based on the following schedule:
- 1st Place = 100 Points
- 2nd Place = 90 Points
- 3rd Place = 80 Points
- 4th Place = 70 Points
- 5th Place = 60 Points
- 6th Place = 50 Points
- 7th Place = 40 Points
- 8th Place = 30 Points
- 9th Place = 20 Points
- 10th Place = 10 Points
Each WARA Member will only earn entry, show and placing points for 1 work of art.
- 1st place will receive 125 total points. (5 for the first entry, 20 for the first piece to make “The Rodeo” and 100 for first place.)
- 2nd place will receive 115 points.(5 for the first entry, 20 for the first piece to make “The Rodeo” and 90 for 2nd place).
- 3rd place member will receive 105 points. (5 for the first entry, 20 for the first piece to make “The Rodeo” and 80 for 3rd place).
and so on, down to 10th place.
Entries beyond 10th place will each receive 25 points. (5 for the first entry and 20 for one “Rodeo” qualifying entry.)
Please see examples at the bottom of this page for further explanation.
- No works of art entered into previous WARA Online Western Art Rodeo Competitions are allowed to be entered again in 2019.
- Any contestant in violation of this policy will have the entry disqualified from the event without refund.
The only category is Western Art.
Each work of art will be judged on Fine Art Principles. All of the highest ranking entries will qualify for “The Rodeo” without regard to medium.
When placing the Top 10 works of art, WARA Judges will decide “is this a better sculpture than this is an oil painting?” or “is this a better carving than this is a watercolor?” and so on.
Aren’t we all competing in the marketplace for collectors $ regardless of medium used?
- All Entries are initially ranked from 1-10 by the WARA Art Directors.
- Directors scores are added together to give a total score for the piece.
- The pieces with the highest total scores will be promoted and displayed in “The Rodeo” and receive 20 points.
- The 10 entries with the Highest Total Scores will then be ranked from 1-10 by the WARA Art Directors for final placement.
- It is during this second round of judging that the WARA directors will decide “is this a better sculpture than this is an oil painting?” or “is this a better carving than this is a watercolor?” and so on.
- “Best of Rodeo” will be awarded to the Top Place in each event.
- All Contestants must be WARA Contestant members or above. A contestant membership is $50 per year. (details here)
- There is a $10 entry fee per piece.
- What’s in the WARA for those that don’t make “The Rodeo”?
- All WARA Members will have opportunity to grow, learn and improve through art critiques, online lessons, and the WARA mentor program.
- Why only display the Top pieces instead of promoting all the entries?
- One Goal of the WARA is to represent the Best Western Artists in the World. Hence, displaying only the Top pieces in each event.
- What if I make “The Rodeo” one month, but not the next month?
- That could happen. Each contestant is awarded 5 points for his/her 1st entry into each competition, 20 points for his/her 1st piece to make “The Rodeo” and placing points if his/her piece finishes in the Top 10 of “The Rodeo”. On the month you didn’t make the show, you would still receive 5 entry points for 1st piece entered. (and the opportunity to have the entry critiqued)
Examples of Scoring
Janet enters 2 pieces into the competition. She pays $10 per entry for a total of $20. WARA Directors rank all entries and only 1 of Janet’s entries make the Top 30. Only this entry will display publicly in “The Rodeo” and be sent to the WARA Judges for final placement. Janet is awarded 5 points for entering and 20 points for making “The Rodeo”. Her piece also finishes in 8th place (30 points) by the WARA Judges.
Her total World Standings Points Score is 55
Dave enters 1 piece into the competition. He pays $10 for the entry. His entry is ranked (along with all other entries) by the WARA Art Directors. However, Dave’s entry does not finish in the Top 30. His entry is not displayed publicly in “The Rodeo”. However, he is awarded 5 points for entering and now has the opportunity to request a critique from the WARA Art Directors in order to improve his artwork.
His total World Standings Points Score is 5
Carlos enters 3 pieces into the competition. His entries are ranked by the WARA Art Directors and all 3 of his entries make “The Rodeo”. All 3 are displayed publicly and are sent to the WARA Judges for final placement. One of his entries finishes in 1st place, another finishes in 4th place and the third entry finishes in 15th place by the WARA Judges. Carlos is awarded 5 points for entry, 20 points for making “The Rodeo”, and 100 points for his 1st place piece. He has also received promotion and recognition for all 3 entries and hopefully sells more artwork!
His total World Standings Points score is 125
2019 World Finals Western Art Rodeo Competition
The Top artists in the World Standings at the end of the 2019 Competition Circuit will earn the right to compete in the Western Art Rodeo World Finals.
The Finals will consist of 3 Rounds of Competition. 2 long rounds and one short or final round.
This will be an elimination format.
Round 1 (Public Voting December 3-7, 2019)
- All contestants will enter 1 piece
- Judges will score all entries and award points based on the following schedule:
- 1st place = 1200 points
- 2nd place = 1140 points,
- 3rd place = 1080 points
- 4th place = 1020 points
- 5th place = 960 points
- 6th place = 900 points
- 7th place = 840 points
- 8th place = 780 points
- and so on down to 20th place = 60 points.
Round 2 (Public Voting December 10-14, 2019)
- Round 2 will feature 1 piece from each qualifying member.
- Judges will score all entries and award points based on same points schedule as Round 1.
After Round 2, the points for from Round 1 and Round 2 will be added together to give each contestant a combined points total.
The Top 8 artists in the combined points will move on to Round 3.
Round 3 – Final Round (Public Voting December 17-21, 2019)
- Only the Top 8 artists in combined points from Rounds 1 and 2 will compete in Round 3.
- Judges will score the 8 pieces and award points based on the following schedule:
- 1st place = 2400 points
- 2nd place = 2280 points,
- 3rd place = 2160 points
- 4th place = 2040 points
- 5th place = 1920 points
- 6th place = 1800 points
- 7th place = 1680 points
- 8th place = 1560 points
How to Win a World Championship
Points accumulated from all rounds of the World Finals Event will be totaled for each contestant, then added to the cumulative points total for the 2019 event circuit to determine the World Champion Artist.
The World Champion will be the contestant with the highest combined total in all 2019 events, including the Finals.
World Champions will receive:
- Title of WARA 2019 World Champion Artist
- WARA World Championship Buckle
- WARA World Championship Shirt
- Featured placement/promotion on the WARA Website and Social Media Channels