The Western Art Rodeo Association is proud to announce the launch of our Online Western Art Rodeos!
Online Western Art Competitions will allow artists to compete for prizes, promote their artwork and earn points towards a World Championship!
How Does it Work? (the short version)
Western Artists will submit artwork in the category they choose by completing the entry form and uploading a photo of the artwork. Upon entry, the uploaded artwork image will be displayed in the Gallery. The public will be able to VOTE for the piece during the voting period. WARA judges will also be scoring and ranking each entry, behind the scenes, based on the Fundamental Principles of Art. The judges scores will be averaged and the top 8 avg. scores in each category will be awarded points towards a World Title. (World Standings). The winners in each category will be awarded prizes and the highest overall scoring piece will receive a BEST OF SHOW WARA championship buckle.
Online Art Rodeo Schedule
|Future Online Western Art Rodeos|
|Entry Open Date||Entry Close||Gallery Dates|
|January 2018||Details to be determined|
|Current and Past Online Western Art Rodeos|
|Fall Gather – Gallery – Winners|
|September Stampede – Gallery – Winners|
|August Roundup – Gallery – Winners|
|Current World Standings|
|Our goal is to hold monthly Online Art Rodeos throughout 2018 and a National Finals event near the end of 2018 where the top 20 points earners will compete for a World Title. Points earned in 2017 events will be carried over into 2018 events. Our goal is to raise $50,000 in added prize money for the National Finals.
We are a rapidly growing association and we are making changes to the competitions as we grow to better promote our members and all Western Artists.
The November Harvest 2017 will be different from our past Online Western Art Rodeos.
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION.
- Each Contestant will be allowed to enter up to 3 pieces in each category.
- Contestants may enter multiple categories with 3 entries in each category
- Contestants do not have to be WARA Members to compete, however, members will get discounted entry fees.
- Entry fees will be $10 per entry for WARA Members
- Entry fees will be $20 per entry for Non WARA Members.
- 100% of the Entry Fees will go back to the Contestants in Prize Money for the category entered.
- 5% of the entry fee will go to the People’s Choice Award (Most Votes from the General Public)
- 50% (after deducting the 5% for People’s Choice) will go to 1st Place in that category
- 25% will go to 2nd place in that category
- 15% will go to 3rd place in that category
- 5% will go to 4th place in that category
- Example: If a WARA Member enters 3 pieces into the Sculpture category, the entry fee is $30. $1.50 will go towards People’s choice. Of the remaining $28.50, 50% would go to 1st place, 25% to 2nd place and so on (in the sculpture category).
- Note – 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place is awarded by the average of the WARA Judges scores. The People’s Choice award is the general public vote only.
Voting by the Public for People’s Choice
- Voting will Open on December 1st and close at the end of the competition on December 15th.
- Each Facebook user will be allowed 1 vote during the competition for each piece. (not 1 vote per day per piece)
- It is our goal to make the people’s choice more fair for those that are not part of large Facebook groups and reach new audiences.
- Galleries will be displayed by Categories instead of all categories mixed together
The Official Rules of the November Harvest 2017 Online Western Art Rodeo
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED
WARA Online Art Rodeos are open to all Premium or Contestant members. Memberships are renewed annually. (Join Here)
Non members are also allowed to compete for a higher entry fee. However, only members are awarded points.
By submitting an entry to the Online Art Rodeo, entrants certify that their participation in this Contest is not illegal or in violation of any law, regulation, treaty or administrative act, and that the laws of their governing jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry do not prohibit or restrict the receipt of any Prize under this Contest.
The Western Art Rodeo Association reserves the right to reject any entry if, in The WARA’s sole discretion, the laws of an applicable jurisdiction, including but not limited to the entrant’s jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry, would prohibit or limit The WARA from proceeding with the Contest as intended or the consideration or awarding of any Prize would impose additional administrative, tax, operational, or legal burdens on The Western Art Rodeo Association.
Furthermore, individuals residing in any “Excluded Jurisdiction” are ineligible to enter the Photo Contest. Excluded Jurisdiction means any country listed on the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) Active Sanctions Programs list available at https://sanctionssearch.ofac.treas.gov/.
Art Rodeos begin at the posted times in the chart above. Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible.
The Public vote for People’s Choice begins December 1st and goes until December 15, 2017. Each facebook user is allowed 1 vote for each piece throughout the competition.
WHAT TO ENTER
The Western Art Rodeo Association is committed to promoting Western Artists. All entries must be “Western” in nature in order to be eligible. This is defined as anything dealing with the American West including landscape, wildlife, cowboy art and more. The title of the contest is not the THEME for the contest. Artists may submit any artwork dealing with the American West.
Entries are submitted electronically by upload within the entry form.
Caption information should include:
- Title of the Piece
- Inspiration behind the piece. We’d love to know the story behind it.
- Dimensions (optional)
- Anything else you’d like to say about the piece
All Entries must be rendered by artist own hand. Copied work will be disqualified.
Artists may enter past works and/or works that have been SOLD.
If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to The Western Art Rodeo Association.
The Western Art Rodeo Association shall determine entry eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion.
Submissions may be watermarked if desired, but the watermark should be inconspicuous enough to not interfere with the judging of the photo. A watermarked photo might not be honored by the competition (at the judges’ sole discretion) if the photographer is unable or unavailable to provide a pristine, watermark-free version of the image when asked. Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
Each (The same) work of art may be entered once into 1 Online Art Rodeo and once in the World Championship.
HOW TO ENTER
All images must be submitted though the contest entry form, including all required fields, including name, email and other information about your photo submission.
Artists may enter 3 entries in each category. By entering, you indicate your unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. You cannot win a prize or points unless you comply with all requirements in these Official Rules.
Entrants may be asked to supplement their submission (such as with a paragraph about their photo or the highest resolution version of their photo).
Entries will be judged on the WARA fundamental principles of art, except that the People’s Choice award will be determined based on popular vote. Judging will be conducted by WARA chosen judges at its sole discretion.
Critiques are a valuable aspect to WARA Art Rodeos. Critiques will be available for all entries for a fee of $15. If you’d like a critique after the contest, please contact the WARA.
WARA judges will evaluate all valid entries and pick the following winners in the following categories:
- Overall Champion – Best of Show (1 winner) – Highest Score Overall
- Wet Medium – Oil, Latex etc.
- Dry Medium – Charcoal, Graphite, Pencil etc.
- Carving – anything carved including wood and other mediums
- Traditional Art – Silver, Leather etc.
The winners will be announced on the WARA website and Facebook page within 10 days of the closing of each Online Art Rodeo.
All judging decisions are final. Please do not contact us about the status of entries or judging.
The WARA will notify the winner via the contact information provided at the time of entry.
POTENTIAL WINNER REQUIREMENTS
Except where prohibited, a potential winner may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility, including proof of age, and liability/publicity release within 14 days. If a potential winner fails to return these documents on time, an alternate potential winner may be selected in his/her place.
The WARA will award the following prizes.
One (1) Overall grand prize winner will receive:
- WARA Champion Belt Buckle
- Grand prize winners will also have an opportunity to be represented by Culturalpatina, one of the largest cultural art Galleries on the web. Culturalpatina has 6 Galleries, writes 2 blogs a day on Face Book promoting its various collections from around the world and has some 200,000 followers in 180 countries. As part of this representation, an article on the Grand Prize winner and his or her art will be prepared and published in the Old West, or Gallery supplement of Antiques and the Arts Weekly, a National publication. Having Culturalpatina represent the winner will give them a great deal of exposure that they would not get by having their art in a traditional gallery. You can check out the Gallery here at culturalpatina.etsy.com, or culturalpatina.com
Category Winners will receive:
- 1st Place – 50% of the prize money for that category
- 2nd Place – 25% of the prize money for that category
- 3rd Place – 15% of the prize money for that category
- 4th place – 10% of the prize money for that category
- Note – 5% of all entry fees will come out first for the People’s Choice award.
People’s Choice winner will receive:
- 5% of all entry fees across all categories
*Best of Show will be awarded to the Artist with the highest overall average score from the WARA Judges. Best of Show winner will receive a Championship WARA Buckle plus the prize money for winning the entered category.
* The WARA retains the right to cancel any category due to lack of entries. In the event a category is cancelled, all participants in that category will be refunded their entry fee.*
The Top 8 Entries in each Category will also receive points towards competing in the WARA World Championship Art Rodeo. See Points section below for details.
To the maximum extent permissible by law, All winners are responsible for paying any taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above, including but not limited to customs fees if applicable. If the prize value equals or exceeds $600 USD, a winner will need to complete, sign and return an IRS W-9 form prior the award of any prize, and/or any applicable tax forms for awarding the prize in the winner(s) jurisdiction(s). Any prize details not specified above will be determined by the WARA, in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. A winner may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, the WARA reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason, in its sole discretion.
Your entries help The Western Art Rodeo Association promote Western Art and our members. Thank you for helping to further our mission by participating.
You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit — including ownership if applicable.
If you submit a work of art, you grant The Western Art Rodeo Association a royalty-free, nonexclusive right to:
- Display the photograph on all WARA website
- Allow third-parties and the WARA to share the photograph on social media.
- Use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in The Western Art Rodeo Association’s internal and external communications materials including but not limited to web sites and web publications, fact sheets, fund raising publications, advertising, multimedia, presentation and membership services.
- Provide your photograph to other individuals and organizations for Conservancy-related use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, videos, membership premiums, and the like
- Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications
- Retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the WARA photo library and accessible to WARA staff via the WARA internal online photo archive
The WARA will endeavor to credit all photographs with the caption “Person’s Name” when the full name is available.
In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Online Art Rodeo is impaired in any way, the WARA may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the contest to address the impairment and then resume the contest; or (b) award the prize(s) from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The WARA reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. The WARA’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to the WARA by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by the WARA. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the owner. Online Western Art Rodeo’s are subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless WARA, Facebook, their respective parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the contest; (b) technical errors; (c) printing errors; (d) late or undelivered mail; (e) errors in the administration of the contest; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property. You waive the right to claim any attorneys’ fees and any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
When you enter, you will automatically become an e-supporter of The Western Art Rodeo Association. This includes special event invitations, digital messages, text and an occasional e-newsletter. You may cancel and unsubscribe at any time.
PRIVACY AND PUBLICITY
You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Utah. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the WARA in connection with the contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Utah, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Utah or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Utah.
WARA Point System for Online Art Rodeos
Points are awarded in each category.
1st place……………200 pts.
2nd place…………….175 pts.
3rd place……………..150 pts.
4th place……………..125 pts.
5th place……………..100 pts
6th place……………….75 pts
7th place……………….50 pts
8th place……………….25 pts
WARA Point Standings
World Point standings will be tallied and displayed on the WARA website throughout the year. These standings will determine the 20 qualifying contestants for the overall year end WARA World Champions. Points earned in all 2017 Art Rodeos will be carried over into 2018 totals. We are planning on holding the 2018 World Championship near the end of 2018. Whether this is a LIVE event or Online will be determined by artist participation in the Online Art Rodeos.
FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
Do I need to be a member of the WARA to Enter? No, however, WARA members will have a lower entry fee per piece and only current members will be awarded points. Non members may still enter and compete but the price per entry will be higher and no points will be awarded to non members.
Do I need to be a member of the WARA to Vote? No. Anyone can vote.
Can I enter multiple categories? Yes, artists are allowed to enter up to 3 pieces in each category.
Is there an Entry Fee per piece? Yes, there is a $10 entry fee per piece for current WARA members and a $20 entry fee per piece for non WARA members. 100% of the entry fees will go into prize money for the category entered.
Where does the Entry Fee go? 100% of the entry fee will go into prize money for the category entered.
How often can I vote? One vote per person per piece during the voting period.
Can I vote for my own artwork? Yes. One time.
Can I ask my friends to vote for my artwork? Absolutely! They can also vote one time for each piece they like.
When will the World Championships be? We are planning on holding the 2018 World Championship near the end of 2018. Whether this is a LIVE event or Online will be determined by artist participation in the Online Art Rodeos. Our Goal is to promote Western Artists by growing the organization around the world.
Can I enter the same piece of Art in different Online Art Rodeos? Each work of art may be entered once into 1 Online Art Rodeo and once in the World Championship.
YOUR QUESTIONS / COMMENTS / SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME.