Official Rules for WARA Online Western Art Rodeo Competitions
Make sure you read the 2019 Competition Format
- WARA Membership is required to enter.
- Contestants may enter as many pieces as they choose to enter. (except World Finals)
- Each contestant only receives World Standing Points for his/her highest scoring entry (see 2019 competition format for explanation)
- The Entry Fee is $20 per entry (except the World Finals). $10 of the entry fee goes towards Prize Money in the category entered
- Each (The same) work of art may be entered once into 1 Online Art Rodeo and once in the World Championship.
What to Enter
Before submitting any entries, we recommend all applicants review the WARA Mission Statement and Objectives to insure each entry is a true reflection. All art considered fine art by the WARA standards must be representational or objective meaning objects must be easily recognizable.
- All Entries must be rendered by artist own hand. Copied work will be disqualified.
- Western fine art must hold true to the nature of western scenes, animals and landscapes.
- Furniture, tapestries, still life flower arrangements or abstract works will not be accepted.
- We do not allow works of art containing product endorsements or advertisements.
- We do not allow nudity.
- If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to The Western Art Rodeo Association if requested.
- We recommend artists enter pieces that are available for sale, however, artists may enter past works and/or works that have been SOLD.
- Traditional cowboy art must be functional art in style and technique as to everyday working cowboy or Indian use.
The Western Art Rodeo Association shall determine entry eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion.
How to Enter
- All images must be submitted through the contest entry form.
- By entering, you indicate your unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. You cannot win a prize or points unless you comply with all requirements in these Official Rules.
- Entrants may be asked to supplement their submission (such as with a paragraph about their photo or the highest resolution version of their photo).
2019 Categories include:
- Wet Medium
- Dry Medium
- 3d Artwork
All works of art are judged on Fine Art Principles.
The title of a piece should automatically tell the story or instill the intended feeling of the work. A title is the voice of the work. It tells the viewer in very few words exactly what the work is saying, it’s intended meaning and/or it’s documentation. (taken from the WARA Principles of Art Book)
Description of the Piece (recommendation)
- Inspiration behind the piece. We’d love to know the story behind it.
- Dimensions – This is always a good idea. It helps the public and our judges.
- Is the piece available for purchase?
- Anything else you’d like to say about the piece
Recommended Image Dimensions for Entry (jpg files)
- All images should be in jpeg format
- Recommended resolution is 100 pixels per inch.
- Recommended size is 1200 pixels on the longest side.
- Maximum file size for upload is 2mb.
- Submissions may be watermarked if desired, but the watermark should be inconspicuous enough to not interfere with the judging of the photo. A watermarked photo might not be honored by the competition (at the judges’ sole discretion) if the photographer is unable or unavailable to provide a pristine, watermark-free version of the image when asked. Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
***The W.A.R.A. is a highly professional organization. Your work is being judged by a highly professional and qualified judging staff. As professional artists please present your work in its highest possible form. It is imperative that the quality of your submitted entry photos are of the same quality that you would like represented as a true reflection of the quality you produce and your professionalism as an artist. Our judges can only judge on what is presented to them and your presentation is of the utmost importance. Photos that are not professionally presented will not be approved for entry.***
Before submitting any entries, applicants must review the WARA Mission Statement and Objectives to insure each entry is a true reflection. If in doing so you question a piece, please seek assistance from the board.
Judging / Prizes / Awards
How is the Artwork Judged
How is the Artwork Judged?
Entries will be judged on the WARA fundamental principles of art as they apply to the medium used to create the piece.
How is a Carving Judged?
- Originality – The carving must express a high degree of forethought, planning and imagination. The carving captures the attention and interest of the observer.
- Design – The carving subject and design elements must be in harmony and compliment the entire work.
- Execution – The carving has clean, decisive cuts and lines. The carving is structurally sound, with no visible glue, putty or paint smears. The carving contains a high degree of difficulty and exhibits problem solving skills.
- Finish – The finish is appropriate for the carving. The colors selected are correct for the subject. The resulting finish complements the beauty and the style of the carving.
How is a Traditional Piece Judged?
Traditional cowboy art must be functional art in style and technique as to everyday working cowboy or Indian use.
- Function and Usability
- Proper Materials for Use
- Design (Balance, Proper Fit and Function)
- Embellishment, Skillful Application, Distinctive Style of the Artist
- Integrity of Lines, Curved or Straight, Contrast and Graceful Flow with Decorative Patterns
- Basic rules of art in scrimshaw portrait work
- Skill involved
- Finish Work – Straightness and smoothness of braid work, finished metal work, finished edges on leather items.
- Professional Presentation of the Finished Product
Recommendation for Traditional Artists – It is extremely important that you have good quality close up images of the work to present to the judges. We also recommend including the description of the application and the technique to accompany the image.
Artists are encouraged to share the competition entries (including their own) on Facebook and other social media platforms. However, the public vote count has no bearing on the WARA Judging or World Standing Points. It is simply a way to share the artwork, gain exposure for the artists and grow the reach of the association.
Public vote count for each piece is not displayed throughout the competition, though we may periodically update the contestants on the public vote count leaders inside the Members area.
How It Works
- Each voter is allowed 1 vote per entry per round of competition
World Standing Points
See the 2019 Competition Format for Details on Points.
Prizes and Awards
The Following is all determined by the WARA Judging Staff
- Prize Money Schedule is based on the number of Entries in each category. See Chart below for payouts.
- World Standing Points – WARA Members will accumulate points towards the World Standings and the opportunity to compete in the World Championship event.
- The opportunity to be named “World Champion” and receive a Championship buckle for your category at the World Finals event.
- The opportunity to be represented by Culturalpatina, one of the largest cultural art Galleries on the web.
The winners will be announced on the WARA website and Facebook page as soon as the judges are finished. We post results as soon as we can but we also want to give our judging staff ample time to complete the judging process.
All judging decisions are final. Please do not contact us about the status of entries or judging.
Prize Money Payouts
1-9 Entries Pays 2 Places – 60% / 40%
10-19 Entries Pays 3 Places – 50% / 30% / 20%
20-39 Entries Pays 4 Places – 40% / 30% / 20% / 10%
40 and Up Pays 5 Places – 30% / 25% / 20% / 15% / 10%
The Fine Print
The Fine Print - Conditions, Details, Rights
Your entries help The Western Art Rodeo Association promote Western Art and our members. Thank you for helping to further our mission by participating.
You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit — including ownership if applicable.
If you submit a work of art, you grant The Western Art Rodeo Association a royalty-free, non exclusive right to:
- Display the photograph on all WARA websites and printed material including “Ace”.
- Allow third-parties and the WARA to share the photograph on social media.
- Use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in The Western Art Rodeo Association’s internal and external communications materials including but not limited to websites and web publications, fact sheets, fundraising publications, advertising, multimedia, presentation and membership services.
- Provide your photograph to other individuals and organizations for Conservancy-related use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, videos, membership premiums, and the like
- Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications
- Retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the WARA photo library and accessible to WARA staff via the WARA internal online photo archive
The WARA will endeavor to credit all photographs with the artists name whenever possible.
In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Online Art Rodeo is impaired in any way, the WARA may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the contest to address the impairment and then resume the contest; or (b) award the prize(s) from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The WARA reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. The WARA’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to the WARA by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by the WARA. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the owner. Online Western Art Rodeo’s are subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless WARA, Facebook, their respective parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the contest; (b) technical errors; (c) printing errors; (d) late or undelivered mail; (e) errors in the administration of the contest; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property. You waive the right to claim any attorneys’ fees and any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
When you enter, you will automatically become an e-supporter of The Western Art Rodeo Association. This includes special event invitations, digital messages, text and an occasional e-newsletter. You may cancel and unsubscribe at any time.
PRIVACY AND PUBLICITY
You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Utah. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the WARA in connection with the contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Utah, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Utah or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Utah.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED
By submitting an entry to the Online Art Rodeo, entrants certify that their participation in this Contest is not illegal or in violation of any law, regulation, treaty or administrative act, and that the laws of their governing jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry do not prohibit or restrict the receipt of any Prize under this Contest.
The Western Art Rodeo Association reserves the right to reject any entry if, in The WARA’s sole discretion, the laws of an applicable jurisdiction, including but not limited to the entrant’s jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry, would prohibit or limit The WARA from proceeding with the Contest as intended or the consideration or awarding of any Prize would impose additional administrative, tax, operational, or legal burdens on The Western Art Rodeo Association.
Furthermore, individuals residing in any “Excluded Jurisdiction” are ineligible to enter the Photo Contest. Excluded Jurisdiction means any country listed on the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) Active Sanctions Programs list available at https://sanctionssearch.ofac.treas.gov/.
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
Do I need to be a member of the WARA to Enter? Yes. As of June 1, 2018, you must be a Contestant or Premium Member to enter.
Is there an Entry Fee per piece? Yes, there is a $20 entry fee per piece. $10 goes towards Prize Money in the category entered.
Can I enter multiple pieces? Yes.
Can I enter the same piece of Art in different Online Art Rodeos? Each work of art may be entered once into 1 Online Art Rodeo and once in the World Championship during the same year.
How is my artwork judged by the WARA judges? All artwork is judged on the WARA Principles of Art
Do I need to be a member of the WARA to Vote? No. Anyone can vote once per day for each entry.
How often can I vote? One vote per person per entry per round of competition.
Can I vote for my own artwork? Yes. One time per competition.
Can I ask my friends to vote for my artwork? Yes, we encourage the artists to share all of the artwork. However, asking friends to vote every day gets old really quick. We want people to enjoy the artwork and the competition and we’d hate to see you lose friends.
Can I win if I don’t have a lot of Facebook Fans? Yes. This is not a popularity contest. This is a fine art contest. Our judging staff determines the winners of the competition. The only thing the public vote determines is the winner of the People’s Choice Award. We do not expect you to beg your friends/fans to vote for your artwork each day. (that gets really old quick!)